Based on the blogging and trip journals of Dan King (BibleDude.net), this book was written to help you discover the kind of purpose that can set your faith on fire! Just as important as the experiences Dan had on a Business as Mission trip to Kenya and Uganda with Five Talents International is how he ended up there in the first place. Travel with Dan on his journey from being a pew-warmer with a desire to be used by God to a missionary and international poverty-fighter. In addition to the stories of people and experiences on that trip to Africa, the book is full of practical ideas and exercises that will challenge you discover world-changing passion whether it takes you half-way around the world or keeps you right at home in your own backyard. Where you go isn’t the important thing, but what you do with the gift you’ve been given is.
Table of Contents:
foreword (by tom davis)
chapter one: beginnings [an ordinary Christian trying not to be lukewarm]
chapter two: finding a compass
chapter three: i’m on my way…
chapter four: culture shock
chapter five: investing my talents
chapter six: experiencing God’s creation, unfiltered
chapter seven: culture shock, part deux
chapter eight: paradigm shift
chapter nine: there’s no going back to ‘normal’
Excerpts From the Book
- How Blogging Helped Me Find Passion and Purpose (Christian Web Trends)
- Investing My Talents (TheHighCalling.org)
- Up-close Look at Microfinance in Action (FiveTalents.org)
- How to Move from Pew-Warmer to Poverty-Fighter (ChurchLeaders.com)
- What? Me, a Missionary? (Dena Dyer)
- Not A Pew Warmer Anymore (Carolyn Counterman)
- The Unlikely Missionary (Kris Camealy)
- Book Review – The Unlikely Missionary (Chris Marlow)
- An Unlikely Missionary and An Interview Encouraging You to Kick Apathy in the Pants (Amy Sullivan)
What Others Are Saying…
This is a God who turns drug addicts into preachers,
who turns a boy-shepherd with a sling into a war hero,
who turns a young woman into the Savior’s mother.
This is a God who transforms pew warmers into missionaries. You know this God, yes? God is in the habit of taking regular people like you, like me, like Dan King — aka the The Bible Dude – and sending them out into the world to do his work.
–Jennifer Lee, Author of Love Idol
What glows from this book is how King experiences the “activation” of his faith. But it’s a smart and educated activation – he doesn’t rush in to do something but instead works with people more experienced and knowledgeable. In other words, he learns.
— Glynn Young, Author of Dancing Priest, A Novel
What I discovered in this book is not so much a “how-to” manual. Not so much a “this is the way you become a missionary” story. This is no step-by-step guide to emerging from the pew. The Unlikely Missionary is a beautiful tale of obedience and courage in being faithful to where God calls in each moment.
— Laura Boggess, Author of Playdates with God
More Blogger Reviews:
- at My Day in the Sea
- by Crystal Rowe [of Soul Munchies]
- by Cristiane Ferreira [of Just Cris]
- by Seth Haines [of …a collective]
- by Nancy Franson [of Out of My Alleged Mind]
- by Patricia Hunter [of Pollywog Creek]
- by Dave Anthold [of Snapshots of Everyday Life]
- by John Volk [ of My mind to your mind]
- by Diana Trautwein [of DRGT/Just Wondering…]
Engage via Social Media (#theunlikelymissionary)
[tagboard id=”theunlikelymissionary/201890″ postlimit=”7″ mobilelimit=”7″]
Social Media Graphics You Can Share!